It is common to notice flat red or brown dots on the skin after your acne breakouts are treated. Sometimes these acne marks eventually fade with no need for treatment. But, in several cases the scarring stays for long and is quite noticeable. Usually picking or squeezing pimples increase the risk of deep marks. Scars are also cause by the inflammation causes due to the breakout. Thankfully acne scar treatment can help lighten the marks and make them less noticeable. But remember, you can only begin treating scars after you breakouts are completely under control.
Acne scar treatment options
Here are few ways that can help reduce acne scars and pigmentation:
- Laser and Filler Treatments
- Skin lightening creams
Regular exfoliation can help lighten the scars as it removed old skin and reveals new skin to the surface. You can use gentle exfoliates to fade the marks. But, avoid harsh scrubs and chemicals that can irritate your skin and cause redness, peeling, and dryness. Use AHA rich exfoliating cleanser or mask as it even effective in old scars.
It is a cosmetic treatment that is often used to improve scarred facial skin. In this treatment rotating wire brush or spinning diamond instrument is used to remove the surface of the skin. As the skin heals, a new, smoother layer replaces the scarred skin. The process is typically performed in a professional medical setting, but now there are home kits for microdermabrasion that can help remove scarred skin at comfort of home.
Laser skin resurfacing using fractionated laser technology can be used to even out the skin surface and increase collagen production, which speeds the skin renewal process. The treatment is bit expensive and it can take more than one session to get desired results. Filler injections can also be used for filling in the indentations left behind from pimples. Although they are effective, they need to be repeated every four to six months, which makes them expensive and hectic.
For acne scar treatment, you can even consider using skin lighteners such as kojic acid, licorice extract, arbutin, mulberry extract, and vitamin C. Creams enriched with these ingredients help exfoliate the skin and speeds up renewal process. Formulations containing Vitamin E are also effective when it comes to reducing the appearance of scars and pigmentation.
Tips to remember during acne scar treatment
- Wear sunscreen without fail as sun rays can cause scars to become darker and even slow the healing process. Sun protection is also essential because some treatments make skin more sensitive to sun.
- Patience is the key when it comes to fading acne scars. If you have marks that are caused by cystic or nodular acne, then it might take a year for your skin to get better.
- Avoid layering your face with harsh chemical products as it might make your condition worse.
- Facial procedures like laser or dermabrasion may provide faster results but they have their own downside, so consult your dermatologist before taking the treatment.